Dental Crowns in Billerica, MA
Dental crowns are a good option when a tooth is fragile or damaged or you want to correct a cosmetic issue. Dr. Kunio Chan, your Billerica, MA dentist at One Dental Care, explains how you can benefit from a crown.
What are dental crowns?
Dental crowns are hollow, tooth-shaped shells that slip over teeth to protect and strengthen them. Since the crown encases a tooth completely, the restoration is a good choice if you want to conceal an imperfection. Crowns must be tough enough to handle the strong forces involved in chewing and biting. They're made of a variety of durable materials, including porcelain, porcelain-fused-to-metal, resin, ceramic, gold and nickel.
Why are crowns recommended?
Your Billerica, MA dentist may recommend a crown if you have one of the following problems:
- Cracks and Chips: Cracks and chips can weaken teeth and make them more susceptible to breaking. Adding a crown to your tooth strengthens it and prevents it from breaking.
- Broken Tooth: A crown restores a broken tooth and allows you to use the tooth to bite and chew again.
- Recent Dental Procedures: Large fillings and root canals are needed to repair and restore teeth, but they also tend to weaken teeth. A crown is necessary to protect and stabilize your tooth after these procedures.
- Discolored Teeth: Dental crowns hide discolorations that can dull your smile.
- Oddly Shaped or Crooked Teeth: When one tooth doesn't look the others, you may feel self-conscious about your smile. Crowns help the tooth blend in with surrounding teeth.
- Short Teeth: It can be harder to bite or chew if one tooth is much shorter than surrounding teeth.
How do I receive a crown?
The first step in the dental crown process involves decreasing the size of your tooth to ensure that the crown will fit over it easily. After your Billerica dentist files your tooth, he'll make an impression of your mouth, which will be sent to a dental laboratory that creates the crown. You'll receive a temporary crown, which you'll wear for the next two or three weeks until your permanent crown arrives. When you return to your dentist's office, he will test the fit of your new crown and make adjustments before permanently attaching it to your tooth.
For more information on dental crowns in the Billerica, MA area
call One Dental Care at (978) 667-0691 today!
Porcelain Crowns & Veneers Dear Doctor magazine examines two innovative strategies for improving your smile. In many instances, these two restorative techniques can produce nearly identical aesthetic results, even though they are designed differently for handling different structural problems... Read Article
Value Of Quality Care Are all crowns created equal? And why are some crowns more expensive than others? Crown fabrication costs depend upon the materials used and the time needed to create them, among other factors. Dear Doctor magazine examines these variables... Read Article
Fixed vs. Removable Bridgework For those patients who have lost all their teeth, but have not lost significant bone, a fixed bridge (permanent non-removable teeth) may be the treatment of choice. For those who have severe bone loss, an implant-supported overdenture offers significant advantages... Read Article