When teeth have become worn down and damaged, they can be too weak to bite and chew food. Fortunately, dental crowns function as protective caps for damaged teeth to give them a strong new exterior, making it possible to resume normal biting and chewing functions. Here at One Dental Care in Billerica, MA, your dentist, Dr. Kunio Chan, uses these restorations to rebuild patient smiles—read on to learn more!
What are Dental Crowns?
Dental crowns are hollow caps/shells made from porcelain, ceramic, resin, or metal in order to fit over teeth that have become worn down or damaged. Once in place, the natural tooth is completely encapsulated within the dental crown, thereby protecting it from further wear-and-tear or damage, and reinstating full eating functionality.
In addition to having a perfect fit, dental crowns also look just like natural teeth due to the light-reflective properties of their construction.
How Dental Crowns From Our Billerica Office Can Help You
In addition to strengthening and restoring damaged teeth, dental crowns can also improve the appearance of teeth with cosmetic concerns. For example, teeth with discolorations that cannot be removed through professional teeth whitening can be given a flawless new appearance with the help of crowns. Some of the different concerns that dental crowns can help address include:
- Discolored or Stained Teeth — Dental crowns can conceal stains and discolorations.
- Cracked or Chipped Teeth — Dental crowns can protect cracked or chipped teeth from sustaining further damage.
- Crooked or Misshaped Teeth — Dental crowns can help teeth that are crooked or misshaped blend in by giving them a new look and shape.
- Weak or Worn Down Teeth — Dental crowns can protect, strengthen, and restore weak/damaged teeth.
- Missing Teeth — Dental crowns can replace missing teeth when placed on top of dental implants or when used in conjunction with bridgework.
Dental crowns can also be used to help strengthen and protect teeth that have undergone other restorative dental procedures, such as root canal therapy or having a large cavity filled. Although these procedures help restore teeth so that they do not need to be extracted, teeth can become weaker following such treatments. Placing a dental crown on top of a tooth that has undergone root canal therapy or has had a large cavity filled helps protect the tooth and strengthen it so that normal biting and chewing functions can resume.
To learn more about how dental crowns can help your smile, schedule an appointment with your dentist, Dr. Kunion Chan, by calling One Dental Care in Billerica, MA, at (978) 667-0691.